Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Autism Takes a Holiday

Thats an interesting thought, isn't it? Of course I don't mean that Autism left our family for Christmas and New Years but instead we left Autism. It is never far, of course, but from December 21-Jan 1 there were no calls to make, no prescriptions to fill, no teachers to confer with and no doctors appointments. So for us, every Christmas season, Autism takes a holiday.

Today is January 1 and tomorrow is back to school, back to routine and back to all the appointments and schedules. We prepare for it by making sure the backpacks are packed and the laundry is caught up (mostly) but there is almost no way to prepare for my 5th grader's anxiety at returning to school or my 3rd grader who has changed from, "I don't want to miss my friends!" on December 21 to "I don't want to go to school!" today.

We can only write the schedule out, tell them that their classmates will be excited to see them and hope for the best after drop-off tomorrow. Additionally, I will leave a note in their lunch box, make sure they are wearing their favorite clothes and assure them that I will be at the school "right on time" at 3:15.

It's hard to say bye to the holiday season, especially when Autism Takes a Holiday. There is comfort in the routine that is awaiting us, even if the pace is a grueling one.

Happy 2013 readers! This year will be full of trials and triumphs, sun rises and sun sets, mis-takes and do-overs and in the end let the good outweigh the bad just as it did in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment